The True Story of Hansel and Gretel (Theatre Lovett): 4 - 11 Oct, Smock Alley Theatre
'Thankfully there is no upper age limit… a thoroughly enjoyable cabaret that deserves to reach to audiences large and small.' - The Sunday Times on A Feast of Bones
‘Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again.’ – C.S. Lewis
Fear is everywhere and you must not stray from the simple path. Into this world of threat and temptation two children are born. Their names have come down to us through the ages. But who were they first? From what reality was their legend born?
What truth was so terrible that adults began to lie?
This is The True Story of Hansel and Gretel, a deliciously dark musical fable from the creators of A Feast of Bones. Featuring live music and an original score, Theatre Lovett’s new play explores the darker colours of the rainbow in this bold retelling of a tale by the Brothers Grimm.
Suitable for ages 12+
Cast and Creative Team:
- Written by Louis Lovett
- Directed by Muireann Ahern and Louis Lovett
- Cast: Martin Brunsden, Clara Harte, Raymond Keane, Louis Lovett, Amelie Metcalfe, Michele Moran, Joseph McCarthy, Barry Grenham
- Chorus: Isabel Costa Macedo, Charlene Craig, Rachael Hanaphy-Pigott, Cherley Kane, Donncha McDonagh, Max O'Neill
- Set and Lighting Design: Zia Holly
- Costume Design: Liadain Kaminska
- Music: Louis Lovett and Nico Brown
- Make Up Artist: Lorraine McCrann
- Prop Maker and Scenic Artist: Molly O’Cathain
- Producer: Muireann Ahern
- Project Administrator: Charlene Craig
Produced in association with Riverbank Arts Centre. Supported through the Arts Council’s Young People, Children and Education Programme Activity Fund. Supported by Dublin City Council. Production Support provided by Rough Magic. Supported by Irish Rail.
Theatre Lovett is a participant of Irish Theatre Institute’s ALUMNI scheme.